EDITOR’S NOTE: For this edition regarding men’s health, the Legacy Magazine decided to approach three different types of doctors with the same three questions in order to see what three answers we all could receive. The questions were:
- What do you believe is the major causes of illness and sickness within people today?
- What would be their first step towards a path of healing and lasting health?
- What can anyone do NOW to help prevent sickness and promote wellness?
Dr. Chuck Tesar: Board Certified ENT (Otolaryngology)
- Poor choices, e.g., excess alcohol, tobacco, poor diet and sleep patterns, lack of exercise, excess social media, drugs, isolation.
- Taking personal responsibility for your health, exemplified by better life choices.
- Take a critical look at your lifestyle choices. Surround yourself with people who have health. You become who you surrounded yourself with. Set new goals; start a new lifestyle; have men in your life who can help hold you accountable and can help change your thinking to support your new you.
Dr. Brian Garrett: Sports Kinesiologist, Chiropractor
People eat shitty food and eat whatever they want with food being modified with GMOs. Plus all the sugar. The average American eats 150 pounds of sugar a year. Add in the fact there is little to no exercise, and such a lifestyle makes people sick.
- Decide to get busy
Cut the crap food and sugar and start to exercise, as simple as 10,000 steps a day. Another good step is to take fish oils 2-5 grams per day.
- Set goals
Set a goal about your health and life. Mine is to live, love, and serve humanity in my way. Stop looking to authorities and get into action! Research ways to get healthy foods, proper body fat, and an exercise programs to help you meet your goal. Trust yourself; your life is at stake.
Dr. Michael Barnett: Doctor of Oriental Medicine, Acupuncturist, Homeopath
- Two major causes.
Toxicity – which can come from all kinds of sources: food, environment. Also psycho-emotional stressors from today’s modern fragmented and dysfunctional society.
Denial – this implies not knowing that the way to healing is through honoring yourself and honoring others. The whole spiritual path is about healing, and that fact opens up a whole bag of worms. Mankind is being separated from nature in general as well as its own individual nature. People are lost in knowing how to find healing, and in this disconnected, out-of-touch, out-of-tune and clueless state, they end up depressed and in pain. Fundamentally all diseases are spiritual diseases.
- One path is to focus the mind. I know of one specific mantra, which has a formula in five parts: presence, which leads to joy, which leads to gratitude, which leads to love, which leads to oneness. It’s important to be living in the present – not past or future. This would be a great first step – living in the present moment focusing on the presence.
- Let go of negativity. Let go of anger, hatred and judgments. Totally let them go, not ignoring them or repressing them. It’s a form of forgiveness. And until you let go of the negative, it’s got you!